Attachment and Bonding With Noncustodial Rights

  1. Child Custody
  2. Attachment and Bonding With Noncustodial Rights
Attachment and Bonding With Noncustodial Rights

If you are divorcing and have children with your spouse, one of the biggest changes in your life is that your time with your children is going to decrease. In many cases, child custody issues are resolved to name one parent the custodial parent—with whom the children primarily live—while the other parent is the noncustodial parent who sees the children in a more limited manner.

Obviously, the less time you spend with your children, the harder it is to build and nurture your relationship with them. For non-custodial parents—especially if you have young children—it can be a real challenge to attach and bond with your children with limited access to them.

However, your children are a huge part of your world, so don’t allow your limited time to discourage you from trying. Instead, we encourage you to be consistent, active, and thoughtful when it comes to your children. Consider some of the following suggestions:

  • Use every second of visitation that your are allowed by the terms of your agreement or court order. Regardless of your intentions or reasons, failing to exercise your visitation sends a signal to your children that they are not important.
  • Work on building trust with the other parent as co-parents so that you can open the door for additional visitation by agreement. Even if you don’t like and frequently disagree with the other parent, you an emotional burden will be lifted from you and your children’s shoulders if you can find a way to peaceably co-exist for your children’s benefit.
  • Make your time count with your children. Put away your phone or laptop and look for interactive experiences with your children. Instead, make plans, ask questions, talk with them.
  • Work on your relationship, not on trying to buy affection with gifts—this will help you to have an actual relationship over the long run. As kids get older, the novelty of receiving fancy presents will wear off if there is not an underlying closeness between the parent and child.

If you approach your limited time in a healthy and positive manner, this will also help you in the future if you pursue a modification of your custody orders.

Contact New Direction Family Law

New Direction Family Law provides legal representation to men and women seeking a resolution to child custody issues. Our attorneys are caring, experienced, and proven. If you want your voice to be heard and to pursue your legal rights as a parent, call us. We proudly serve clients in Wake, Johnston, Durham, and surrounding counties. Contact New Direction Family Law at (919) 719-3470 to schedule an appointment, or contact us online at our website.

Previous Post
Is it Possible to Lower a Child Support Obligation?
Next Post
Dividing Luxury Goods When You Divorce