Divorce Separation Support Available in Raleigh, NC

A couple that needs divorce separation support in Raleigh, NCSpousal support, or alimony, is paid by one spouse to the other after the parties separate. There are several factors that influence whether spousal support is awarded, including the length of the marriage, the income of each party, the earning capacity of each party, and the conduct of each party during the marriage.

If you have questions about how much support you can expect to pay or receive, an experienced family law attorney can advise you. Unlike child support, spousal support is not calculated by a worksheet. The amount paid or received depends, partly, on each party’s reasonable monthly expenses and his or her income.

At New Direction Family Law, we represent individuals throughout Raleigh, Cary and the surrounding communities. We educate individuals about the two types of spousal support they may receive in North Carolina, including:

Post-separation support

This type of temporary support is awarded prior to alimony being awarded.


This type of support is intended to enable the dependent spouse to retain his or her standard of living. It is based, in part, upon the relative needs of the parties and the supporting spouse’s ability to pay support.

How long does spousal support last?

The purpose of post-separation support is to provide temporary financial support to one spouse after the parties separate until a permanent award for alimony is entered or denied.

Alimony is a more permanent type of financial support for a dependent spouse. However, the term “permanent” can be deceiving. It does not mean, generally, that a dependent spouse will be awarded alimony for the rest of his or her life; rather, support is for a definite number of months or years. Judges have great discretion in determining the length of time and amount of alimony.

Additionally, martial fault, by either or both parties, can have a substantial impact on an award of alimony.

Learn how North Carolina’s spousal support laws could be applied in your situation by scheduling a comprehensive consultation. We can be reached through our online contact form or by calling 919-719-3470.

Serving Wake, Durham, Johnston and surrounding counties.