Happy Father’s Day!

In Child Custody, Parenting by Elizabeth Stephenson

You love your children and work hard to meet their needs and raise them well. If you are a father who has recently separated or divorced, you understand just how treasured your time with your children is. Therefore, Father’s Day takes on an entirely new significance.

So when you are separated or divorced, what are your legal rights to visit your children that day and give them an opportunity to celebrate with you?

  • First, is there an agreement or order? If you have a separation agreement or child custody order, check to see what it says regarding Father’s Day. It would be surprising if your agreement or order does not account for this holiday. In fact, attorneys understand how important Father’s Day, Mother’s Day, and birthdays are to parents, making them an almost-universal issue regarding visitation terms.
  • If there is no order or agreement regarding visitation whatsoever, then it is wholly between you and your child’s other parent to come to an agreement. If you cannot reach an agreement, then it will be necessary to obtain court orders.
  • If your visitation agreement or order allows for you to have visitation or access, and the other parent is in violation, do not take matters into your own hands to force the issue. This never ends well, is often contrary to the children’s best interest, and will reflect very badly in court. Instead, an order or agreement is very powerful, and an attorney can help you enforce your visitation rights with your children in court.
  • If your custody agreement or order is silent as to visitation on this holiday, then you should speak with a family law attorney to seek an agreement, order, or modification that properly addresses this significant day. It is not unreasonable for a father to ask for visitation on Father’s Day; however, an attorney can guide you through what a court considers in reaching a best interest determination.
  • If you are not allowed Father’s Day visitation by court order,do not violate this court order. Instead, an attorney can examine your order and help you determine whether there are positive steps you can take to demonstrate that there has been a substantial change in circumstances since the order was entered, and that it would be in your child’s best interest to visit on this holiday.

Contact New Direction Family Law

New Direction Family Law is a family law firm that represents clients regarding separations, divorces, child custody, property division, spousal support, and child support. Our attorneys are smart, effective, and dedicated to advocating for the legal rights of our clients. Let us fight for you. Our firm serves Wake, Johnston, Durham, and surrounding counties. Call New Direction Family Law today at (919) 719-3470 to schedule an appointment or visit us at our website.