Child Support FAQ’s

How long does child support last?

Child support obligations continue until the child turns 18 years old. However, if a child is 18 years of age, still in high school, and making progress toward graduating, the court can order child support to continue until the child graduates from high school or turns 20 years old, whichever comes first.

What are the child support guidelines?

The guidelines are determined by the gross income of both parents per month, the amount of health, dental, and/or vision insurance that is paid for the child per month, the amount of work-related child care that each parent pays for per month, and other extraordinary expenses. Once these figures are entered on the child support worksheet, the child support calculator will determine the amount of monthly child support to be paid.

There are three different child support worksheets. Worksheet A is used when one parent has primary custody and the other has less than 123 overnights a year with the child. Worksheet B is used when parents have joint physical custody and when one parent has more than 123 overnights a year with the child. Worksheet C is used when the parents have “split custody,” which means that one child lives primarily with one parent and another child lives primarily with the other parent.

Are child support and child custody decided as one issue?

Child support and child custody are considered two separate issues to the court. What does this mean? It means that even if the other parent is not letting you see the child, you must still pay child support. However, if this is your situation, you can seek court assistance to have a custody plan put in place or enforced. Learn more by scheduling an initial consultation. We can be reached through our online contact form or by calling 919-719-3470.

Can we decide how much child support will be paid even if it is not what the guidelines would determine?

Yes. Just like child custody, spousal support, and property division, you and your partner or spouse can determine what you believe is needed for the support of your children, even if is higher than what the guidelines suggest. Again, each family is unique, and you know best what is needed.

By scheduling an initial consultation with one of our attorneys, you can have this and your other questions and concerns answered. Just fill out the online contact form or call our office at 919-719-3470 to schedule your initial consultation.

Serving Wake, Durham, Johnston and surrounding counties.